Updated April 4, 2019
We reserve the right, at any time, to change this policy, in whole or in part, at its sole discretion. Please review periodically to ensure you are aware of any changes and are familiar with the most current version.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE US
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you: use our Service; create a Brightline Account; subscribe to our emails, mobile messages or social media notifications; allow us to access your location; participate in a program, sweepstakes, contest, promotion, survey or poll; communicate with us via third-party social media sites; shop our Service; transfer Brightline credits or one-way rides; request guest support; apply for a job or otherwise communicate with us through the Service. (Please note this is not an exhaustive list and there may be other instances.)
The types of information we collect may include personally identifiable information (PII). This is information that can be used to identify you (whether alone or in combination), such as your first and last name, email address, zip code, date of birth, gender, phone number, credit card information, social media account information and travel preferences. It may also include sensitive information, such as present physical status—for example, if you ride in a wheelchair, are deaf or hard of hearing or are blind or have low vision.
You may choose to voluntarily submit certain other information to us through the Service, including personally identifiable information, but you are solely responsible for your information and its accuracy.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
We and our service providers automatically collect certain information about you when you access or use our Service. This information may include, without limitation, demographic information, IP address, browser/device/hardware type, IMEI number, operating system characteristics, information about your use of our Service and data regarding network connected hardware (e.g., computer or mobile device), such as unique device identifiers, type, model, version, MAC address, device or session ID, error-related data status, capability, confirmation, functionality, performance data and connection type. This information may also include clickstream data, which is information about the page-by-page paths you take as you browse through the Service.
This information is gathered by certain tools and methods such as:
- Sign In Information: We collect information about your use of our Service, such as the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the referring link through which you accessed our Service.
- Cookies: Cookies are data files that are placed on a computer when it is used to visit a website. These cookies may be used for many purposes, including, without limitation, tracking user preferences or web pages visited while using our Service. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to remove or reject cookies. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Service. If you choose to block cookies, some advertising preferences that are dependent on cookies may not be able to be respected.
- Web Beacons/Tracking Pixels: We may include small graphic images called web beacons, also known as “Internet tags” or “clear gifs,” in our web pages and email messages. We may use web beacons or similar technologies for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count the number of visitors to our Service, to monitor how users navigate the Service, and to count how many emails that we sent were actually opened or how many particular posts or links were actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts: We may add embedded script, also known as programming code, that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Service. It is temporarily downloaded onto your computer from our web server or a third party with whom we work, is active only while you are connected to the Service, and is deleted or deactivated thereafter.
- Location-identifying Technologies: We and our third-party service providers may use GPS (global positioning systems) software and other location-based technologies to locate you so we may verify your location and deliver relevant content to you based on your location.
- In-App Tracking Methods: There are a variety of tracking technologies that may be included in mobile applications, and these are not browser-based like cookies and cannot be controlled by browser settings. Some use device identifiers, or other identifiers such as “Ad IDs” to associate app user activity to a particular app.
Information we automatically collect about you, such as how you interact with our Service, may be combined with your personal information. If we associate any such automatically collected information with personal information about you, we will treat the combined information as personally identifiable information.
We and our business partners and other third parties may send you product promotions that are aligned with your purchase trends and/or interests identified through automatically collected information.
USE OF INFORMATION
We may use information about you for various purposes. Primary purposes for use of information include to:
- Facilitate, personalize and improve your online or app experience.
- Process your sign up for marketing emails or creating a Brightline Account, including verifying that your email address(es) are active and valid.
- Manage your online account(s), including purchases, payments, changes, cancellations and refunds.
- Process and deliver content, sweepstakes, contest, promotions, surveys and rewards.
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service.
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages.
- Contact you regarding your use of our Service and, in our discretion, changes to our policies.
- Prevent fraudulent transactions and monitor against threats.
In addition, there may be secondary purposes for use of information, such as to:
- Create a site usage profile of your preferences and provide advertisements, content or features that match your profile and interests.
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage these communications, please see the Your Choices section below).
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities.
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
- Improve our Service and website, app, marketing efforts, products and overall travel experience.
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys.
- Any other purpose, with your consent or as permitted or required by applicable law.
Whether use is primary or secondary may change over time. Some of the information we collect for primary purposes may be used for secondary purposes.
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
We take reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit card information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user enters, submits or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information. All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
Although we use reasonable efforts to help protect your information, transmission via the Internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through our Service. Further, you are responsible for protecting your password.
ADVERTISING & ANALYTICS SERVICES AND ONLINE TRACKING
This means that some information about your browsing of the Service and certain third-party sites may be shared with these companies for the purpose of delivering ads to you on the Service and certain third-party sites and we may receive from some of these companies information about third-party sites that you have visited. This information is used for marketing purposes and the practice is sometimes termed “retargeting”.
These and other third parties may also collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use our Service.
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of a marketing/retargeting customized campaign on other websites or platforms.
Note that your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online services you visit. Like many websites and online services, we currently do not alter our practices when we receive a “Do Not Track” signal from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you may like to visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) AdChoices Program and may display an Advertising Option Icon for interest-based ads. You can learn more about the DAA AdChoices Program at http://www.youradchoices.com and its opt-out program for mobile applications at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices. In addition, certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). NAI has developed a tool that allows consumers to opt out of targeted advertising delivered by NAI members’ ad networks. To learn more about opting out of targeted advertising or to use the tool, visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. We are not responsible for effectiveness of, or compliance with, any third parties’ opt-out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs.
We also have a specific marketing platform that uses persistent cookies. If you delete your cookies or switch to a different browser you will have to repeat this procedure. Please be aware that, even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of targeted advertising, you may continue to receive generic ads.
You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the information you submit to us, such as your contact information provided as part of creating a Brightline Account. The Service allows you to access, review, correct, update and remove information you have provided through the Service by signing in to your Brightline Account.
With respect to our mobile and other applications, you can prospectively stop all collection of information by the application by uninstalling the application. Also, you may at any time opt out from further allowing us to have access to your location data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device.
We will make good faith efforts to make requested changes in our then-active databases as soon as reasonably practicable (but we may retain prior information as business records). Please note that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases and that residual data may remain on backup media or for other reasons.
You can opt out of receiving marketing email communications from us at any time within your Account or by unsubscribing from our emails. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we will continue to send you non-promotional emails and other types of communications, as permitted by law. For example, we may send emails that contain service-related announcements that affect your Account, purchase confirmations and updates regarding rides you’ve booked, requests for feedback on our services and/or your specific travel experiences, or responses to your comments and feedback submitted to us.
Our mobile application may send you notifications that may include alerts, sounds and icon badges. These push notifications or in-app messages may include both operational messages and promotional messages regarding products, services and offers that may be of interest to you. Push notifications can be configured in settings on your mobile device.
CALIFORNIA ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT
According to CalOPPA, we agree to the following:
- Users can visit our site, book rides and make purchases anonymously.
- Users are able to change their personal information by updating their Account.
CHILDREN ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT
Our Service is not intended for and is not targeted to children under the age of thirteen (13). If you are a child under the age of 13, you are not permitted to have a Brightline Account or to ride with us without being accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older, and should not send any information about yourself to us through the Service. When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under 13, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online.
FAIR INFORMATION PRACTICES
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
We also agree to the individual redress principle, which requires that individuals have a right to pursue legally enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or a government agency to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Market to our database or continue to send emails to our guests after the original transaction has occurred.
To be in accordance with CAN-SPAM, we agree to the following:
- NOT use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly (within 10 business days of the request).
- Allow users to unsubscribe or modify communication preferences by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future marketing/commercial emails, you can.
- Follow the instructions at the bottom of each email and we will promptly remove you.
SMS TERMS & CONDITIONS
Brightline Tickets/Train Status
Effective Date: 7/31/17 – ongoing
We offer subscription text message programs that allow you to receive special text offers, service updates and purchase confirmations through your mobile devices. You can enroll in our Brightline Tickets/Train Status program by sending JOIN to 743325 (RIDEBL). You will not be enrolled in a “mailing list” when You subscribe to this service. Messaging frequency varies.
By opting in to this service, you consent to receive mobile text alerts using an automatic telephone dialing system. Consent to receive marketing text messages is not required as a condition of purchasing any goods or services.
By signing up, you are confirming you are at least 13 years of age.
We do not have a separate charge for this service; however, message and data rates may apply from your mobile carrier. Subject to the terms and conditions of your mobile carrier, you may receive text messages sent to your mobile phone. Participation in the programs on this short code is standard rated (no premium content).
By providing your consent to participate in this program, you approve any such charges from your mobile carrier. Charges for text messages may appear on your mobile phone bill or be deducted from your prepaid balance. We reserve the right to terminate this SMS service, in whole or in part, at any time without notice. The information in any message may be subject to certain time lags and/or delays. You are responsible for managing the types of SMS texts you receive. If you have any questions or need help, text HELP to 743325 (RIDEBL).
Text STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL, or UNSUBSCRIBE to 743325 (RIDEBL) to stop receiving Brightline Tickets/Train Status from us. You will receive a confirmation text.
For additional information, text HELP to 743325 (RIDEBL).
Supported carriers are:
AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile®, Verizon Wireless, Boost, Cricket, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Virgin Mobile, ACS Wireless, Appalachian Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, Carolina West Wireless, Cellcom, C-Spire Wireless (formerly Cellsouth), Cellular One of East Central Illinois, Cincinnati Bell Wireless, Cross (dba Sprocket), Duet IP, Element Mobile, EpicTouch, GCI Communications, Golden State, Hawkeye (Chat Mobility), Hawkeye (NW Missouri Cellular), Illinois Valley Cellular, Immix (Keystone Wireless / PC Management), Inland Cellular, iWireless, Mobi PCS (Coral Wireless LLC), Mosaic, MTPCS / Cellular One (Cellone Nation), Nex-Tech Wireless, nTelos, Panhandle Telecommunications, Peoples Wireless, Pioneer, Plateau, Revol Wireless, Rina – Custer, Rina – All West, Rina – Cambridge Telecom Coop, Rina – Eagle Valley Comm, Rina – Farmers Mutual Telephone Co, Rina – Nucla Nutria Telephone Co, Rina – Silver Star, Rina – South Central Comm, Rina – Syringa, Rina – UBET, Rina – Manti, South Canaan / CellularOne of NEPA, Thumb Cellular, Union Wireless, United, Viaero Wireless, West Central Wireless, Leaco, Nemont/Sagebrush. T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.